Preparing Your House For Sale
- Lawn & Garden: Eliminate dead foliage, mow grass, weed
- Extra vehicles: remove from curb view.
- Clean windows and sills- repaint if needed.
- Keep walks and driveways clear of snow and debris.
- Repair doors and windows, screens and hardware.
- Fix or paint siding and fencing as needed.
- Dynamize by adding large planter, wreath or new doormat at entrance.
- Add potted flowers to deck.
- Add new house number or brass door fixture. Paint front door.
- Tidy and organize. Make sure door opener works.
- Sweep floors, clean grease spots, Remove clutter.
Bathrooms & Kitchen:
- Tidy counters, Appliances and fixtures cleaned/polished.
- Remove clutter from countertops and cupboards.
- Check light switches and fixtures.
- Clean away any mildew in shower or around tub.
- Clean and deodorize garbage areas.
- Repair faucets, toilets or any leaking or dripping taps.
- Fix grout and caulking as needed.
- Patch & paint wall and ceiling cracks.
- Add green or flowering plants.
- Add scented soaps or potpourri.
- Add matching towels.
Living/Dining Rooms, Bedrooms & Hallways:
- Keep hallways and foyers clear of obstacles.
- Remove clutter, and out of season clothing.
- Re-arrange furniture for openness.
- Clean and polish furniture.
- Tidy play areas, arrange children’s bedrooms to look fun and inviting.
- Repair ceiling and wall cracks.
- Clean fireplace. Arrange for fire to be lit during showings.
- Arrange fresh flowers on focal points.
- Put linens on table, perhaps place a setting on dining room table.
- Carpets freshly vacuumed.
Things to remember:
- Keep your home warm and cozy, if in winter, or cool and fresh, if in summer, so it feels inviting!
- Open drapes and blinds – keep rooms and hallways bright and cheerful.
- Clean your closets – show off how spacious they really are.
- Cigarette smoke is offensive to many. Keep ashtrays washed, and try to smoke outside.
- Use exterior lights at night. Your home will look more inviting.
- All lights turned on to make a friendly atmosphere.
- Stage living areas to emphasize selling points.